Thursday, September 15, 2011

Best damn ikea hack ever - Nailhead side table



Sorry to start off my post with a potty mouth but, I'm quite proud tonight of my new side table!!
I have wanted one of the following tables for who know how long! I've spend months coming up with ideas to re-create it and in all reality I was totally over thinking it! For a long time I envisioned I would have to create it from complete scratch, instead after seeing the above picture it reminded me of my old crappy ikea coffee table. Remember my post here? Saying I was going to do a coffee table, well I ended up replacing my side table instead!

Clayton Grey - Bungalow 5 Table - $455

Another nail head table at Clayton Grey


and another


After much thought today I purchased two ikea lack tables at $7.00 a piece.

Assembling one full table and using the table top from another I had the form I needed to create the table of my dreams. Another plus with the ikea furniture which lets be real, there aren't many. It was made out of particle board and the nail heads drove right in with out bending. If you can, I would find an expedit table on craigslist, which there don't make anymore. It has a nice table top glass and a modern form.
In Progress:






better resolution pictures coming soon - xo


Ok So you can see my mess ups especially on the bottom left. I ran out of railheads so I have ordered some more to finish the other sides. I realized what i did wrong on the bottom left edge to do it the right way on the other side so it looks better. Maybe I should ad a top of mirror too? :)

*Update, if I were to re-do this table again I would assemble and glue the tables together then, add the nail trim.

Check out my recent updated post for much better pictures. Thanks!

39 comments:

  1. Now THAT is pretty damn fabulous!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME! May I ask where you found the nailhead trim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! You did a great job. Can't wait to re-create. Where did you find the nailheads?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I've been coveting that Bunglaow 5 table for ages and I had plans to do a similar Lack hack to recreate the look, so it's great to see one already done that looks so fantastic.
    I did a Lack hack myself on our coffee table and a couple of these would compliment it very nicely - it's on my blog (and Ikea Hackers) if you're interested: http://prettycitythings.blogspot.com/2011/05/ikea-goes-glam.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like yours better than the original! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found you Via Ikea Hackers! LOVE this table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin you just made my WEEK!!!!! I am decorating an empty house on a budget and was going to keep the lack tables i want plain... but now i'm hacking them! thanks so so much!

    LOVING your blog! <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving this. Can you tell me about he chairs, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I love how you styled it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is the best Ikea hack I've seen in a long time!! LOVE what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chairs. Where did you find the LOVELY chairs?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That came out really nice! I would love to share your how-to with my readers if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! Where'd you get the nailheads (as many others are asking too)?!

    Pamela @pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Everyone. Thanks for the amazing comments on this DIY. I seriously love it still! I recently did a post with a more in depth tutorial but, here is a link to the nail heads I used. It comes with like 10 yards of nail head stripes so you can tackle any other projects when your done with this one!

    LInk is below or you can google:
    Nail head kit

    http://www.fabricfarms.com/UP141.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Rachael, Yes- feel free to post about it! Thank you for asking. There is also an updated tutorial I recently posted if you go to my home page.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is beautiful! I'm moving out for the first time and after adding up the $$ there isn't much left for decorating. I'm so excited to try this hack - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Found you through Bromeliad! So excited about following you now..wonderful job too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there,

    Where did you get the chairs that flank the table? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Would love to recreate but question from a newbie DIY-er... what kind of glue did you use to connect the tables, and where could I purchase the nail heads? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love this idea! I already have 2 of these tables infront of my sofa right now being used as a coffee table, I think I will pick up to more and make a much cooler set! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fabulous job! And you can't beat the price. good for you. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  22. whoa! awesome! how did you get your nailheads so straight?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. im trying to find your updated tutorial on this gorgeous ikea table you did, i want to make it this weekend and need a bit more info, im not finding it though...any info would be helpful. cant seem to find your homepage either.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi there. I am wondering what glue to used to put the two tables together. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those r awesome - u r a grand creative IKEA HACK JOBBER!!!!! BEAUTIFUL ELEGANT - I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did you paint the table or is that the high gloss white?

    ReplyDelete
  27. If I were you instead of transferring the top to glass, I would spray paint it with the mirror-like spray paint. It would look amazing with your choice of nailheads. Just an opinion. But I love the way it turned out & I think I may actually have to do this. Not sure if it'll match my primitive meets modern decor, but I love the way this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How do you connect the bottom part to the legs? Lack usually screws in.... Other than than, BEST HACK EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOVE IT! Want to run to IKEA now:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Pretty idea! Never thought a lot of those Lack tables (except in my early teen days - ha ha!), but you make them look very sophisticated. Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. how many nail heads did u need for this table if you dont mind telling... and ur table came out beautiful living in the country where ikea is the best store to shop in.. aka Sweden its nice to knw i can fix up the ordinary to extraordinary
    with alil work thanks

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it...You're super talented and creative. I have two black ones...I'm going to try to work some magic on soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it...You're super talented and creative. I have two black ones...I'm going to try to work some magic on soon.

    ReplyDelete